Fatty acids are vital for the functioning of the body, along with proteins and carbohydrates. The fact is that these useful substances are the base of cell membranes, and also participate in the synthesis of the essential hormone-like elements.
Following are the several health benefits of Fatty acids:
1. Brain health – The brain is 60% fat, of which most are docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) or omega-3 fats. Studies have linked omega-3 fatty acid deficiency with a variety of mental disorders, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia. Omega-3 fatty acids help support the nervous, communicative, and protective functions of the body.
2. Eye Health – Fatty acids play an important role in the development of the retina of the eye. If you are not taking enough of fatty acids you are prone muscular degeneration and frequent eye problems. It is essential to get an adequate amount of fatty acids in your diet to ensure overall health and reduce the chances of eyesight damage.
3. It helps to fight depression and Anxiety – A study says that people consuming an adequate amount of Omega 3 fatty acids are less likely to be depressed. The EPA present in the fatty acids helps you to combat the depression and feel rejuvenated. Fatty acids play an important role in channelizing our energies and maintaining their levels.
4. Prevents Cancer – Cancer is one of the most dreadful diseases that are the leading cause of death worldwide. Research says that fatty acids can reduce the risk of a certain type of cancers. A recent study concludes that people who consume Omega 3 in good quantities have around 55% lower risk of cancer.
5. Cardiovascular health – Fatty acids are suitable for the heart and circulatory system. For instance, stearic acids in fatty acids aid regulate cholesterol. Besides, dietary acids reduce lipoprotein.
6. Immune health – Without enough fatty acids, the white cells will not be able to sense and damage foreign organisms. The foreign organisms like fungi, bacteria and viruses. When they get to the body, it becomes weak.
7. Nervous system – Saturated fat is an “insulating coating” for the nervous system. When a person lacks saturated fats, he becomes susceptible to various stimuli.
Fatty acids are the major substances that form the cell membranes, which are the protective membranes surrounding each cell. Since the cell covers itself with the fatty layer, its inner space is safeguarded by a barrier. The barrier is composed of fatty acids found in the diet. The cell membranes will be elastic if you take more fats. It turns out that the benefits of fatty acids are beyond doubt for the functioning of a human body.